HALF DAY EMILIA FOODIE EXPERIENCE
Emilia Foodie Experience is an extraordinary journey through a landscape of rivers, plains and hills and the jewels of the Italian gastronomic tradition!
We will discover the secrets of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and Prosciutto di Parma, their ancient origins and unparalleled balance of knowledge, man’s passion and nature’s bounty.
Choosing the Half Day Emilia Foodie Experience you will discover the history of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and the reasons why it was invented in the Emilia region and not elsewhere during the Middle Ages.
You will be able to follow the whole Parmigiano Reggiano cheese production chain, starting from the feeding of milking cows. We will see the cheese production process in full swing and we will visit all the rooms of the cheese dairy: the production room, the shaping room, the salting room and the amazing warehouse! The dairy experience will end with a tasting of delicious Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
We will reach an authentic Prosciutto di Parma Plant, crossing the Parma hills region, where the rearing of pigs developed since ancient times, favored by the large woods and the presence of oak trees. We will stop on the way at the foot of the Castle of Torrechiara to take some pictures.
During the visit to the plant we will be able to observe the production process of this delicacy and learn about its important history and all the standars which must be complied with, to fully understand the the origins of the unique character of Parma ham: the sweetness!
Want to know more about the Half Day Emilia Foodie Experience?
Departure: suggested time 8:30 am; private tours can start at whatever time requested
Duration: 5 h
- Authorised guide
- Admission fees
- Tastings of 12 months, 24 months and 36 months old Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Tasting of Prosciutto di Parma and traditional cured meats such as Culatta and Fiocco di Prosciutto with a glass of exquisite DOC Parma hills wine and water
You must provide your own transport and follow the guide in a separate car. If you have space in your car, you may choose to have the guide ride along with you.
Know Before You Book
- Dogs are not allowed inside the facilities
- The Prosciutto production process is a weekly cycle (Mon-Fri). Sometimes we see the salting, at times the washing and other times the grooming. During the visit, when on Saturday or Sunday, one can see all the rooms used for the production process.
- The Space Cinema, Largo Sergio Leone 7/A, Parma
The meeting can be arranged directly at the hotel or b&b if situated in Parma.